Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Day 26: Gaming Friends are the Bestest Friends (except when they're Gamey Friends)

Do you still game with the group that introduced you to the hobby?

When I actually started gaming with other people, it was mostly neighbourhood kids. Then they’d bring in other friends and other kids would drop out. It was a pretty random group for long time, but in high school it began to gel around a core group of three guys, myself included. Other people played, but we were the main group that they played with.

Eventually it settled into a group of six and together we weathered through university, jobs, illnesses, girlfriends/boyfriends, spouses, kids, divorces ... once a week for nearly two decades. 

We didn’t stop regularly playing as a group until I moved to Nova Scotia. After that I didn’t play much of anything for a while; some Munchkin with friends’ kids and board games with my wife were about it.


Every third week for six months, I would spend five days locked in a room with not much else to do except watch a wide variety of fluids get pumped into my body. Having cancer can actually be really boring.

After some online snooping and scouring a few second hand bookstores, I got back into Game Books and solo Tunnels and Trolls mainly just so I'd have something to do.

It didn’t take long before my gaming group, now scattered across five time zones, to get together on Skype and we together bravely battled out way through ‘In Search of the Unknown’ and then ‘Palace of the Silver Princess’. It was an incredible show of love and support to someone who was both bored and terrified and in need of a little escape. 

That is the kind of friends that gaming gave me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment