Thursday, February 20, 2014

Day 20: No Elves.

First non D&D game you played?
'Talis*fucking*lanta,
I discovered Talislanta through Dragon Magazine and ads like this and a glowing review in some issue or another. About the same time, I found The Chronicles of Talislanta* in my LGS and saved up for a month to buy it.The book has no rules, it is simply a travelers' guide to the different regions and I was immediately hooked like a pot head on nachos. The rules were also a revelation. Instead of the randomness of D&D with its THAC0 and %rolls and wonky Stats (Str 18/76?), Talislanta had a nice clean system where everything was rolled on one D20 chart. 

Then in 2005, I was lucky enough to add my own stamp on the lost continent when I wrote two (semi-)offical supplements for the game. The adventure, 'The Weight of Water' even got properly published, which has been the highlight of my gaming career to this point. I'll be the first to admit that the adventure is rail-roady as hell, but I'm still proud of most it. Much to my amazement and delight, it even got a P.D.Breeding Black cover!
Download it free (and legal)!*
The second was a based on more of a sandbox idea, which combined a sourcebook and an adventure for exploring the tropical island of Thaecia during the week of their (not just famous, but) in-famous 'Festival of the Bizarre'. It was never properly published and needs a good edit or six, but I still like to put it out there. 

*Talislanta.com has all old material available for free! 



No comments:

Post a Comment