Sunday, February 16, 2014

Day 16: On Being a Conscientious Objector in the Edition Wars

Do you remember your first edition war? Did you win?

but come the Metal Wars, we all must fight!
When I was a kid I remember fnding out that my some of my friends had different games than my trusty Red Box. Gamma World was the obvious one, but there was also this thing called AD&D. Being about 9 years old, I honestly thought that AD&D was just regular D&D with 'advanced' rules.

Then came D&D3, which was easier to play (ask me my theory on how D&D3 was influenced by Talislanta's Omni System, sometime). Then D&D4 was a misguided attempt at modelling tabletop rpgs on video-games. Because of that, I drifted back into OSR games and have my preferences on what system I like to use, but I never really engaged in an edition war.

You play the game that's in front of you. Don't like that the DM is running D&D3.5 when you'd rather play Labyrinth Lord? You tell the table you're running the next game.  

No comments:

Post a Comment