Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Prometheus and Liver Pate

My wife wanted to see a movie, but gave me the choice between Rock of Ages and Prometheus, and I am not ashamed to say that I picked the Rock. I passed on Prometheus because I was severly disappointed to learn that it is little more than Chariot of the Gods with face huggers.

I watch Ancient Aliens because I think it is funny and because I really, really want this shirt.

I certainly don't watch it because I think it is remotely plausible or will contribute in any way to my knowledge of history or anthropology. And frankly, I find the idea of 'ancient aliens' to be more than a little racist; there often an uncomfortable suggestion that there is no way these people (who often have a skin colour that is somewhat darker than lily white) could have possible figured out how to build such amazing things all on there own, could they?!

Nor does any of that answer the question, if life on earth originated on another planet, how did that life originate? I guess its turtles all the way down.

Rock of Ages, btw was bloody awful despite Paul Giamati, Alec Baldwin and Russel Brand doing their damnest. I'll admit that Tom Cruise managed to be mildy entertaining, if only because he came with a monkey. The two 'leads' unfortunately, were tone deaf and had the combined charisma of a coffee table, though they did have this one funny exchange;
Girl "L.A. isn't working out. I'm a stripper."
Boy. "I'm in a Boy Band."
Girl. "You win."

3 comments:

  1. I think I would have made the same choice.

    I could go off on a mildly entertaining rant here as a historian who's rightly fecked off with books espousing this stuff being stored in a non-fiction area of a book shop! All they do is take away from the amazing advances we've made as one species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here Here! Except that now I'll always be looking at what section they stick those books in the store.

      Delete
  2. Nor does any of that answer the question, if life on earth originated on another planet, how did that life originate?

    The way it's thought to originate here, but didn't, except over there, where it did?

    Just because it didn't originate here doesn't mean that didn't originate somewhere.

    Like soya sauce. Or pizza. Which are also not turtles all the way down.

    ReplyDelete